Friday

090326 - Nana's pickles


Mmmm... pickles. I love pickles SO much that sometimes joe calls me pickle. I would eat them every day if I could. thanks to the running, I think we can afford to eat a little extra salt now and then... as far as storebought pickes go, I am loyal to Claussen kosher dill. they are the best. Now that we can't afford to be buying $4 jars of pickles once a week, so I make them for about $2! Here is the recipe that my Nana has been making ever since I can remember (slightly tweeked):

ingredients:
  • 4 C cucumber (or zucchini)
  • 1 C white vinegar
  • 1 T celery seeds
  • 1/2 C salt
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 1 T mustard seeds (the best part)
directions:
  1. slice cucumber thin and soak in solution of 1/2 C salt and ~ 2 quarts h2o for 8-12 hours (could be soaked overnight and cooked in the morning - just don't soak too long).
  2. drain cucumber. combine vinegar, sugar, and spices in medium saucepan and heat to boiling.
  3. add cucumber slices and boil for 10 min, stirring so all the cucumber slices get cooked and change color.
  4. I store mine in glass canning jars- old pasta sauce containers work well, too.

No comments: